Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pinterest and Brownies



I am a Pinterest junkie, but I am sure I'm not alone in this.

I spotted a brownie photo there and after reading the blogger's article I decided that I needed to try them someday so I bookmarked the blog article.

The moment finally struck me as I was watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy where Izzy was trying to make brownies just like her mom. She later discovered that the secret ingredient was coconut extract.

When I saw that episode I kind of had a eureka moment - what a brilliant idea! And I knew it was time to put that bookmarked recipe to the test! We pretty much followed the recipe except that we exchanged the vanilla extract for coconut and chose pecans for the nuts instead of a mixture.

I must say, these are the best brownies I have ever eaten.
Yes I did say the best, better than mom's and better than grandma's.
They're perfect in every way and I want to make more already and my batch is not even gone yet. They're amazing and definitely my go to brownie recipe from now on.

Here's the recipe!
(from David Lebovitz, Ready for Dessert)

6 tablespoons (3 ounces/85 g) unsalted or salted butter, cut into pieces
8 ounces (225 g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup ( 35 g) all-purpose flour
1 cup (about 135 g) walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, or pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped

*Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C). Line a 9-inch square baking tin with two pieces of parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on each side. Lightly grease the parchment paper with butter or cooking spray, set aside.

*Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the chocolate and with a spatula, stir over low heat until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.

*Whisk in the sugar until well combined.

*Whisk in eggs one at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla.

*Using a fine-mesh sieve, sift in the flour. Whisk batter vigorously for 1 full minute, until batter loses its graininess and becomes smooth and glossy, and pulls away from the sides of the saucepan.

*Add the chopped nuts and with the wooden spoon, stir to combine.

*Pour batter into prepared baking tin and bake for about 30 minutes, until the centre feels almost set, do not over-bake.



I wonder how they would be with mint extract? Or maybe topped with marshmallow cream while they're still warm?
What other combinations do you think would be yummy?

2 comments

  1. This sounds great! Just playing around I have found my fav brownie recipe (for now). I use peanut butter brownies, which just have peanut butter chips in the mixture. I cook them using the more fudge-like choice. Cook for 20 min. then I take them out and put chocolate Heath bits and Smuckers fat free caramel syrup on them and continue to cook for another 14 min.Yummy chocolate perfection!! I am so addicted to these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg Peanut Butter is one of my favorite things, I will have to try your idea with this sometime!

      Delete

If you've enjoyed my blog, please leave a comment to let me know!